8’x12′ Colonial Shed – Large Door
All Our Shed Plans Feature:
- FREE – How To Build A Shed eBook included with every shed plans purchase.
- Cost Effective – Our shed plans are designed to make your shed simple and inexpensive to build.
- Easy To Build From – Professionally drawn with step by step instructions to show both an old pro or a first time framer how to build a shed. (see the plans example below).
- Start Now – Instant download – The shed plans are emailed to you when you purchase so you can start immediately. We use the free PDF file format so you can print them on your home printer or we can postal mail them to you.
- Materials List – Easily get bids and use the list numbering system to know what part goes where.
The 8×12 Garden Shed With A Large Door shed plans include:
- Architectural Details – With the New England charm of steep roofs, board and batten siding and a divided window the 8 x 12 Cape Cod storage shed will look good in any back yard.
- 7′-7″ wall height – This wall height allows you to either purchase pre-hung factory built doors or build home built doors.
- Pre Hung Doors – This shed plan uses pre hung doors.
- 10/12 Roof Pitch – The steeper roof gives the cape cod shed its New England shed charm.
- 5 Foundations – Skid, concrete slab, poured concrete pier, concrete block pier, precast pier.
Optional Door Configuration
8×12 Colonial Shed Floor Plan
8×12 Colonial Style Shed Plans Include The Following:
- Materials List: The 8×12 garden shed plans come with a complete materials list that is broken down by parts of the shed.
- Foundation: 5 different foundations are included in the plans; Wood skid, Concrete slab, Concrete Block Pier, Pre-cast pier and Poured Concrete Pier
- Floor = 2×6 floor joists at 16″ on center with 3/4″ floor sheathing.
- Walls = 2×4 framing at 16″ on center with a double top plate, just like a home is framed. The shed wall height is 6′-7″ but can be made taller by simply using a different wall stud length.
- Door = The shed door is a 6′-0″ x 6′-8″ double door. There is also an optional plan for a 3′-0″ x 6′-8″ single door.
- Roof: The roof is framed using 2×4’s to build rafter trusses. The plans include instructions to build the trusses using top and bottom chords and 1/2″ O.S.B. gussets. It is sheeted with 1/2″ O.S.B. (or 5/8 if you want to make it extra strong.) The plans give you the dimensions and cut angles so you can build the roof rafters on the ground and then put them up on the top plates.
- Roof Overhang: 5-1/2″ on the eves and 1″ gable ends.
- Roofing = 25 year asphalt shingles.
- Siding = T1-11 siding or similar 4’x8′ wood or cement panel siding is specified. This can be changed to use any siding you like.
- Trim = 1×3 and 1×6 wood, masonite or cement trim materials are used to finish the corners, roof eves and facia, and door.
- Roof Pitch: 10/12, this means that for every 4 inches of rise there is 12 inches of run horizontally.
- Floor Load: 50 pounds per square foot for framed floors. You don’t want your shed floor to feel spongy.
- Roof Snow Load: 40 pounds per square foot. This is more than adequate for most areas. If you live in an area with a high snow load you should check with your local building department for your local snow load. Contact us and we can specify stronger roof framing.
Sample of the 8×12 Colonial style shed with a large door plans
FREE Shed Materials List (Click To Download and Print)
About The Author
Find DIY projects, free woodworking plans, and home improvement tips. Build your next project with our easy to follow plans